Wednesday 1 January 2014

Doula Appointment - 31/12/13

Another last appointment. The next time I see my doula I'll be in labour!

I'm not sure there was a particular reason for the appointment except for her to escape her five kids for the morning because she arrived at 10:30am and didn't leave until 2:30pm and we talked about very little relating to my labour and what will happen etc. Most of it has been touched upon in enough detail before and besides covering how to recognise labour and when to contact her, there wasn't much to say.

Instead we talked about Christmas and dogs and baby clothes and anything else we could think of really. In fact I wish I knew she'd be staying so long so that I could have offered her some lunch but instead I had to sit there starving for not wanting to eat in irony of her with nothing but chocolate to offer her. The cupboards are bare of any real food.

What I did realise from the conversations was that she has never done an induction labour before which I suppose surprised me a little bit. I guess that she'll have to support me in the same way so it's not a problem in that sense but it does kind of suggest that her powers of questioning decisions are a bit more limited.

She is nice though. Before she left we clarified that neither of us would be taking offense by what was said or mannerisms during labour. She reminded me and James that she is under our employ and I reminded her that I like straight talking rather than being babied.

We're to contact her at the earliest signs of twinges so she is aware of the possibility of labour and then to request her to attend as soon as I feel that it's the real thing and I need some support.

She did hint at a home birth again, saying something about how far away we are from the hospital and we'll see how it goes, which I didn't appreciate to be honest. In a perfect world, I'd love a home birth but I just don't want to make a conscious decision to stay at home in case it all goes wrong so I feel that to mention it is playing with my head a little bit. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment