Thursday 9 January 2014

Aqua Fitness with Yoga Friend - 38+5

Oh how I've missed my aqua classes over Christmas.

I must seem like a bit of a gym bunny but really I'm not. I'm idle, I'm flabby and any attempt at any real cardio and I literally pass out on the floor. I'm thinking of installing a stair lift or moving into a bungalo because I shudder at the concept of climbing stairs, I'm that unfit.

The aqua and yoga classes during pregnancy have mainly been an attempt at meeting people, but I can honestly say that they have been an essential part of my pregnancy welfare and I urge anyone and everyone who is pregnant to seek out a decent aqua class as the very least.

Going to the class today was just bliss and the fact that I could attend with a friend I met at yoga who is due one day after me is just the icing on the cake.

The instructor mocked concern when she realised that we had turned up as heavily pregnant as we are. She said she'd informed the lifeguard and that if our waters went in the pool that they'd have to shut it down for a week to clean it again.

I found that concept very appealing indeed, and let's face it, the notion that excercise might induce labour hadn't escaped my attention.

We got started with what is pretty much an aerobics class in water for the old ladies and I was in my element. 

I've read lots of references made about water supporting your body weight during pregnancy and therefore feeling good, but I don't think it's that. Simply being in the water doesn't create such a soothing sensation that I'd be content just floating around or doing lengths. I think it's the freedom of movement that is so blissful. Jog with my knees up to my chest? Not a problem. You want me to kick my legs out like Dick Van Dyke on the rooftops in Mary Poppins? Easy peasy.

And! I get to be better than others. The fact that they are three times my age (well, not quite but close enough) doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to my sense of achievement.

All the time, I'm thinking pelvis engaging thoughts too. Those constant downward impacts and hips twists have got to be doing something good.

Yoga friend seems to enjoy it just as much too. It was really good to see her, even though she does seem to have grown much more than me in the bump department. She always seems a little bigger but today she seemed HUGE. I blurted it out before even thinking of how annoying I find it when people do it to me, but nevermind. She should start a blog to slag me off.

I actually think that if we still haven't popped next week that we'll be going again!

As we left the instructor was telling us how good we are doing for still going to the classes because most people give up long before, but I don't see why. I know it's going to be the most enjoyable day out of the whole week.

Afterwards we went out for lunch and grabbed a soup and a scone on me and it was great chatting about babies. The waitress at the cafe made a point of talking to us as she had a baby on the 19th Jan this time last year and it was strange just how open she was about everything. She even came back later asking us about maternity packages and things. I was nice.

Bearing in kind that this might be the last time I see yoga friend before one or both of us have given birth, I gave her some sports energy beans for energy levels during labour and I also gave her a silk umbilical cord tie that I'd made and sterilised. I've got one for myself too and I realise that she might not use it but I read that the plastic peg clips that they use are bulky and can catch and leave imprints and things. It's just some thick thread plaited together and tied at the ends.

Once I got home I spent some time on my ball and had a clary sage bath and had sex and popped a couple of EPO pessaries in and I have to say that I have felt quite a few braxton hicks. I do get them after I've exerted myself at all, but I've had more than usual and they felt really quite strong.

I also had liquid diarrhea, so much that it was way over the water line in the toilet when I'd finished. I know TMI but it seemed pretty promising at the time.

It was a bit scary because for all the BHs, baby has been very sulky and still. It was only when I set James on her that she started wiggling which James takes great pride in while I assume means she's telling him to piss off.

Now I'm in bed though and I feel perfectly normal again. This induction stuff is hard work. A smidge of plug or some waves of cramps would have have been nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment