Tuesday 25 June 2013

Early Scan - 10+3

Today's scan was completely different to the previous ones, a lot more relaxed even though I'd turned it into a bit of pivotal scan due to the baby having had achieved a significant developmental milestone upon reaching 10 weeks.

I have been pretty emotional and crying at all sorts on songs on the radio, but as we entered the scan room I felt calm. I wouldn't say optimistic, that would almost be asking for disappointment, but I didn't feel an impending sense of doom.

She started the scan and as per usual I was all eyes looking for the heartbeat but as the familiar silhouette came into focus that wasn't what I saw.

Instead, we got a wave and a wiggle! 

To be honest, I can't remember noticing the heartbeat until much later on into the scan because baby just kept on moving. I couldn't believe how active it was. I was mesmerised watching it, waiting to see it moving again.

When did my little foetus figure out how to wiggle so enthusiastically and wave? I'm so proud!

Now every gas pain is clearly a movement and even though I say that a bit tongue in cheek, I did feel a flutter that made me squee as i immediately associated it with baby moving rather than the more likely cause of me not having been to the toilet properly since Friday.

Anyway, so the scan lasted about 15 mins in total and she actually seemed to spend more time in 3D mode which is good in a way, but the image is frozen and then looked at three dimensionally and I kind of wish we'd watched baby move some more even if in 2D. We didn't really get to see its legs much.

I was actually having a bit of a girl feeling, but after the scans it seems hard not to have a bit of a boy feeling because they look quite masculine in features with their protruding brow and also the inevitable unacknowledged protrusion in between their legs whether it be the umbilical cord or maybe even the nub.

It's heart was fine by the way and it measured 35mm which equates to 10+2, a day behind, but it was a hard measurement to get due to the baby's orientation.

After the scan we waited to see the nurse and even though I requested to begin weaning off my medications, while on intralipids the rule is to maintain all dosages until 12 weeks and only then begin weaning. It might only be a couple of weeks but I am sooooo tired of the tablets three times per day. Gagging down tablets is how I start each day and end each day and I'm really fed up of them.

The nurse also told me I'd have another dosage of intralipids after my 12 week scan and yes they will be giving me another scan themselves at that time at 12+3.

So that's good about the scan, although I'm only just starting to lose the black bruise from my last dosage of intralipids.

All in all, a really good day! It's going to be so hard not buy anything too expensive now. I think I might use up the local council cloth nappy allowance on bumgenius!

Here is my baby:



Here is the scan video, not muted this time so you can hear all my stupid comments and gawking:

https://vimeo.com/69117418



No comments:

Post a Comment