Monday 18 November 2013

Midwife Appointment - 31+2

I had another midwife appointment today and it was alright. I've decided that I like her anyway, it's just a shame she doesn't do many deliveries anymore because she's the kind of straight talking but sympathetic midwife I'd be hoping to have. That said, she did tell me a whopping porkie but I can understand why but I'll get to that.

Pee sample was normal and so were the bloods I had taken at the last appointment, even though I did have to ask about them.

I mentioned that I had my jabs done and that I got shouted at for not having my notes, seeing if she acknowledged if she never told me about needing them. "Pfft I never tell anyone to take their notes, carrying a big folder around everywhere!".

We were asked if everything was alright and we told her that it is, but we still had concerns about her position. We told her about trying alternative therapies and she was really interested and enthusiastic without at all being kooky and alternative herself.

Then I jumped on the bed and she did my blood pressure which was fine, baby's heartbeat which was 148, fundal height which was 31cm (and actually comes up above average for 31 weeks on the chart)  and then had a good feel at my bump.

She said it was a difficult one to gauge and she wouldn't bet her life on it but she was fairly sure she was still head up. By the end of the grope though, she seemed more confident. I think her head is fairly obvious but the rest is all lumpy and it could be anything.

As I jumped up off the bed I mentioned I still hadn't felt her head down at all and she replied that she probably wouldn't go head down now because it's just going to get tighter and tighter as she gets bigger and with her legs being extended and by her head she just couldn't kick off to move.

I asked if her legs being stuck by her head could damage her legs and without flinching she immediately replied no and I believed her... Well, as much as I believe anyone ever.

It did seem a bit weird to me though that baby has her head up and legs supposedly by her head and yet she's always poking me in the vagina. In theory her bum should be by my cervix and she can't thump me with her arse cheeks... I'm starting to wonder if some miscommunication has occurred with the sonographer having said that her legs were extended to mean they were extended downwards but since it's been interpreted as "breech legs extended" = "frank breech".

I did ask about how things would progress from here and she pretty much said it'd depend on my 34 week scan. She asked which consultant I had and she figured it out from his scrawl of a signature that looked nothing like a name! She laughed and said we must be in on Tuesday and that we were stuck with the druggies because those are the kind of patients he deals with, but they all seemed pregnant to me... Pregnant and druggies?! She described him as an odd guy but nice. We think he seemed nice anyway and he must be compassionate to work with addicts without judging them.

She did say that if they try to turn her manually that they'll see me at 36 weeks to book us in for 37 onwards so an emergency csec because of related distress wouldn't result in a premature baby but they would not intentionally wait until I naturally went into labour because then my stomach is too tight to manipulate without a muscle relaxant.

Bugger. I don't really want a late December birth.

I'm thinking I'd rather opt for going into labour and just seeing how she's lying when my waters go and if she's still breech then having the emergency csec then. I'm not sure the manual turning is worth the risk when she's been so insistent on being head up. Maybe she's wrapped up in cord or something.

Then after the usual pleasantries, we left.

I did google as soon as I got home about leg deformities and for the first time ever, genuinely wish that I hadn't. Yes, their legs are deformed. Not permanently apparently, but basically their poor little legs are stuck up by their heads even after they are born and it results in hip dysplasia and a harness has to be worn for several weeks to get their legs back into a functioning position. I shouldn't have waited until my scan had revealed if her legs were like that or not, but now I've got 3 weeks of worrying.

Next midwife appointment at 35 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment