Sunday 3 November 2013

Chatsworth Bonfire - 03/11/13

Yay, I've finally been to a proper bonfire with James!

I mean we've only been together for over 8 years (omg I'm old) so maybe that's typical, although I doubt it.

It sucked, but that's besides the point. I had a really good time and James had as good a time as he ever does when he has to leave the house.

When we first met, we stumbled upon the Trafalgar 200 Year Anniversary celebrations in Portsmouth and they were the most phenomenal fireworks ever. I doubt we'll see better in our lives. No one will be able to understand the extent of how mind blowing they were without having seen them in the flesh themselves. Perfectly synchronised fireworks that filled the entire sky with dense glitter. They were magical and I'm even frustrated at trying to explain their brilliance when I know I'm not remotely doing them justice.

Unfortunately it has the knock on effect that any other fireworks we see are utter shit in comparison.

So we get there and it's £3 for a hot chocolate made with... water. FFS, you don't give a pregnant women with high calcium requirements a chocolate cordial and then have the cheek to charge her that much for it. I got it with whipped cream to try and improve it, but that just resulted in me sucking at the lovely warm froth only to find myself suddenly inhaling recently boiled water.

While the queues were still quiet we thought we'd get food too and we ended up with a sausage on a roll at £5 each.

I might tell you that we'd paid £15 for entry too!

We found somewhere half decent to stand where we could see most of the entertainers from while we waited for the bonfire to be lit. It wasn't long before I was getting uncomfortable. I had heartburn setting in and my belly was feeling very heavy and stretched.

I admitted to James I wasn't feeling good so he immediately suggested we went and sat in the car... How thoughtful.

I suggested walking around instead and the bonfire was lit but we couldn't get anywhere near it anyway. Seeing fire is boring, feeling fire is where the fun is but we didn't have a chance. I managed to drag us to within about 6ft from the fence surrounding it but it was pointless trying to get closer.

Then it was the wait for the fireworks so we carried on walking around aimlessly until I said I felt a sit down would do me some good only for James to again eagerly suggest sitting in the car. Not joking, he genuinely wanted nothing more than to sit in the car.

Neither of us likes crowds, but the difference is that I'm prepared to tolerate them to try and experience something whereas James clearly isn't of he thinks he can get away with it.

Instead we headed for a cafe at the entrance, well away from the stalls and the bonfire. We were only sat down for a few minutes before it was time for the fireworks but as we headed back James insisted the best view was to be had on the very path we were standing on.

He's never been there before. No idea where the fireworks would be originating. He got lucky though and we could see everything really well.

I was conscious of how the baby would react to the fireworks. She'd been pretty manic all day and seemed to continue to act in the same fashion throughout the fireworks. I did feel her jump a couple of times so I started to pat and rub her as I do quite frequently nowadays and like to think it reassured her a little.

Conversation revolved around how amazing the Trafalgar ones were and everything that was inferior about these fireworks, which happened to be everything.

As soon as they finished we were heading back to the car and James was asking if he'd be able to drive with his wellies on so he didn't have to waste time changing back into his shoes. That is how keen he was to get out of there, he says to avoid the pile up but I'm not totally convinced.

In the car, my little girl was quite quiet  but I've felt her a few times since and she's having a right old go now I'm in bed. She is always a nutter at bedtime.


No comments:

Post a Comment