Tuesday 14 May 2013

OTD + Beta

My clinic had given me 13dp3dt as my official test date which was a Monday but seeing that i had started testing positive on the Thursday i had already phoned them and registered my positive test.

During the phonecall they wanted to know what other drugs i needed (quite a lot with my immune medications) and they also booked me in for a scan. At this time it also became apparent that a beta blood hcg test was not standard procedure at my clinic.

I found this really quite confusing and distressing because how did they know that i was actually pregnant unless they physically saw me pee on a test or give me a beta?!

It might sound strange, but seeing those positive tests - all 9 of them! - didn't mean a damn thing unless someone else could see them.

Maybe i was doing the test wrong? Maybe something else was causing the positive besides a pregnancy? If it all went away would i have to argue about whether i was ever pregnant at all?

It might seem irrational but i needed them to know that i was pregnant. I needed them to know that what we had tried had worked and i could get pregnant off James' sperm. I needed them to see it for themselves!

Even when i offered to pay for the beta myself they didn't seem keen, it's like they were set against people having them and why i don't understand but after a lot of pouting over the telephone they said they'd have me in on the same Monday as my OTD :)

That was yesterday and the whole blood drawing bit was a nightmare. I always have bad veins. They always complain about my bad veins. I always tell them to just get stuck in but they always faff around and call for someone else who is no better. They must have stabbed me about 6 times in various places, including the soft side of my wrist(!), to the point that they were sucking blood out at a snails pace and i did what i have never done before... i went woosy.

I called for a sick cup and had to lie down and my ears went numb. Nothing to do with the needles i thought to myself, it's a pregnancy thing! :D

I got home and had to wait for the call, i really hoped it's wasn't a rubbish number now! I wasn't too worried, except for the fact that my clear blue digi still stated 1-2 weeks when i should have been 2-3 since two days earlier.

Finally it came and it was a lovely reading of 249! I asked what it meant and the nurse replied "It means you're 4 weeks pregnant" as if it was a very insightful piece of information so i asked at what reading they might have been worried and she rather dimly said that if the number meant i was only 1 week pregnant.

Ah! Validation! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment