Tuesday 14 May 2013

A Little Bit About Us

Hello,

So if you're reading this you are probably experiencing something similar to myself and wondering if i'm someone that you might be able to relate to.

I'm Louise, i'm 28 years old and have been a full time mum for the past three and a half years - over looking the fact that i don't actually have any children!

I met my husband, James, in the summer of 2005 and since then we have been inseperable. He was a little older but i've always been mature for my age so that suited me fine. He had his issues but we were so similar in so many ways and we had a really good time time together.

I remember one time that i was showing him my "trick" of being to fold my tongue not once, not twice but three time and as i showed him - he went and did it right back at me! It's stupid but it's little things like that which stir up all those romantic notions of soul mates.

It's one of many little quirks that we share and i couldn't imagine finding anyone that was more like me than he is. The areas in which we differ we are polar opposites but that just has a balancing effect on both of us.


He lacked direction and i had too much direction, so in 2009 i told him we should get married and he complied. It was the best day of my life. It was amazing and we are very happy together.

We had, well i had, everything planned. We were married in the September, moved half way across the country into a huge family home by November and trying for a family by summer 2010 because i didn't want a winter baby with both myself and James being winter babies.

I've always had it drilled into me about being from "good stock" as it's one of my mum's neuroces and my unfounded huge level of confidence in my ability to reproduce meant that after only 5 cycles without pregnancy, i was feeling very frustrated.

I felt that there were a lot of extrenal pressures for it to happen quickly, not only did i need to have popped out 4 children by the age of 30 *cough* but i had new friends that were pregnant and i had newly wed relatives that were pregnant. I had a overwhelming sense of social exclusion if the baby didn't arrive at the right time.

It was at the early stage that i contacted the GP, lied about our efforts and ha them performing every test that they had - the conclusion being that we could not conceive naturally.

Undetered, I knew that IVF would sort us out. Once they get some embryos in me, my body will take over and everything will be ok.

So we had one cycle. Then we had another cycle. Then we had another cycle. And another cycle. And another cycle.

The heart break, the disappointment, the frustration, the sadness, the isolation.It was never going to happen for us.

Then cycle 6 happened.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there !!! I am reading your blog of course because I have a similar story ! The difference is that I am 40 years old and we don't have lot of time to waist. Coincidentally we have our first ICSI cycle in UZGent. Zero fertilization. Did you do your lucky ICSI cycle at UZ Gent too? Prof. de Sutter?. They told me the lab is in shock with our results. I am assuming our issue might be similar to yours. Any insight, help? Congratulations for your baby !!

    ReplyDelete