Tuesday 28 May 2013

Early Scan - 6+3

No surprise, i was wide awake at 5am. Checked my forums, had a drink, braced myself against some heartburn and then put my padded eye mask on to try and get back to sleep.

When a cold wet nose pressed against my arm i realised that wasn't going to happen.

My dog has been a pain in the arse. He won't leave me alone and the slightest hint that i'm awake and he starts up again. He wants to be as close as possible all day long and he sulks if we're parted.

I'm probably being unfair because he is being sweet in the general sense of the word, but i can only take so much full on dedication and worship before it makes me want to gag.

I get up and go and grab some pita and hummus, my tummy settling staple, and start sorting out my hair as we have to set off by 8:30am to get to the clinic for 11:00am while grabbing some decent breakfast on the way.

Fast forward to 10:45am and we walk into the reception. I spend a bit of time nagging them about how i still don't have my embryoscope data for this recent cycle and then we are lead into the waiting room and to be quite frank we were lucky to get a seat.

As i sat down i realised that my seat was already warm and soon afterwards another couple entered the waiting room, or should i say re entered. They seemed to gaze over at our chairs as they headed over to the far side of the room to the two remaining places.

We knew that we was going to be in for a long wait.

The appointment was at 11:15am so i spent some more time on my forums and contemplated searching for the patients whose names they called out on FB to see if i could find them (apparently this is weird and intrusive) and as i checked the time we were already 30 mins late and the nerves were starting to set in.

I know when i'm really nervous because i feel like my tummy is on a fast spin and it makes me need the loo and this is how i felt. James wasn't doing much better. He'd been whinging all morning about his tiredness and nausea (pur-leeze) in his typical fashion because everything is clearly all about him so by now he was in overdrive.

I handed him the camcorder and showed him how to use it and told him his only requirement was to film the scan.

I went to the loo and as i came out and returned to my seat, my name was called. OMFG.

We were lead into the scan room and were left for me to undress and as i got onto the bed, i made sure James had the camera at the ready. He was going on about how nevous he was and how shaky and dizzy and blah blah blah he felt and i'd had enough. I told him that this isn't about him. All he needs to do is be strong for me in case it a disaster and him being pathetic before we'd even started was not good. He seemed to suck it up.

The sonographer re entered and turned down the lights and said we was fine filming but she wanted to do the measurements etc first as it would take a long time.

This was bullshit. Basically she wanted to make sure that there was something there before we started filming because all she did was pan through the uterus a couple of times before she indicated that we cold film. As soon as she started panning i saw a sac and even though it was only there for a brief second i could see a flicker. I knew there was a heartbeat!

James couldn't get his head around the bloody camcorder so there i am with my arse out, legs in the air, dildo cam invading me, having an active conversation with the nurse AND playing camera man.

She came back to the sac and lingered long enough to show us the yolk sac which measured at 4mm, and then the baby which also measured 4mm :) She said it measured at 6 weeks but the early scan isn't really for dating, it's just for confirmation and reassurance.

It was amazing. The heartbeat seemed so strong to me, much more than a flicker - it looked like a proper thumping action.

I asked her if there was a second but i already knew there wasn't from paying attention and this was confirmed.

She checked my ovaries, both of which are enlarged (and might explain some of my 6 week going on 16 week bump) and that was that!

We're having a baby! One baby with a very healthy heartbeat. We're thrilled.



We have another scan booked for the 11th June to check progress rate and determine when i need to stop all of my immune medication that i'm still on. Can't wait!

On the way home we decided to send a pic to all of our immediate family and they were all very excited. We decided against telling them to keep it a secret so they are probably blabbing it to everyone by now, but i don't really care which is a bit of a surprise.

And that's it. A really fantastic day for the memories.

VIDEO:
https://vimeo.com/67148305

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely thrilled for you both, I have been pacing back and forth on here Facebook and the forum waiting for news .... you definitely made me sweat lol.

    So happy its finally happening YOUR HAVING A BABY! !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pic ...the video is awesome the heart flicking away like crazy so can't wait for mine now :-)

    ReplyDelete