Wednesday 30 October 2013

Flu and Whooping Cough Jab - 29/10/14

I had myself book in for my flu jab yesterday and had also been told to have a whooping cough jab too.

They always seem to stir up controversy in pregnant women about whether or not to have precautionary jabs when they haven't been tested on pregnant women to see if there are any possible consequences that might effect mum, the pregnancy or the baby.

I'm not a fan of taking the flu jab because I'm fairly certain that you vastly increase your chances of getting flu in the first place by sitting in the waiting room at the GP, but the bottom line is that I'd feel a lot worse if something went wrong because I didn't do enough to protect my child than because I tried to protect my child too much.

As for the whooping cough jab, that's a bit of a new appearance for this year so is creating even more discussion.

They tell you babies have died from whopping cough but they would say that, wouldn't they?

I'd decided to search for whooping cough on YouTube and lost any reservations about getting the jab done. It's basically constant coughing and choking and they can't eat properly and their lungs start filling with fluid and they don't get enough oxygen and there is very little that doctors can do because their strength to fight the illness is constantly spirralling. They just die a horrible death.

When I got to the GPs office I refused to sit in the waiting room because it was heaving with people in a warm room with stagnant air - blurgh! So i sat in the next room on some chairs that they'd placed in the corridor with all the doctors offices.

I wasn't waiting long and the little buzzer went off for the nurse.

She seemed alright but started by asking for my notes which I didn't have with me which provoked some tuts and sighs like I was a naughty little girl who'd "forgot" my homework yet again. I told her that no one had said that I'd need them not even the midwife who I'd seen just the day before and her response was that I should have my notes with my all the time now that I'm pregnant. I clearly should also have psychic abilities as a pregnany symptom.

I rolled up my long and very tight sleeve and I could see her preparing the needle, noticing that it's seemed unnecessarily long and thick. Needles do come in smaller sizes you know!

As I looked away she stabbed me once, stabbed me twice, and I was done. It stung a little but wasn't too bad. She warned me of lingering soreness but I felt fine.

Upon leaving she bid farewell and told me that she'd see me again when I have baby with me and I'm sure she was trying to stir up some excitement but I felt a bit of dread at the thought of having to put my baby through injections.

It was some hours later when I brushed arms with James that I realised that my arm was very sore!

I had a look and I have a large raised red lump where she'd done the injections and James assures me he's never had that reaction from the flu jab so it must be the whooping cough jab.

It doesn't hurt much if I don't touch it, but when I do it feels like a mass of nettle stingers. It almost feels like it need popping and squeezing to release some of the hot pressure under the skin. This morning it's just as sore if not a bit more so.

No comments:

Post a Comment