Monday 5 August 2013

Midwife Appointment - 16+2

I had my 16 week midwife appointment today and it was... ok, i guess.

We had to wait for about 30 mins past the appointment time so i was starting to feel a bit queasy as i do in stuffy rooms, so was relieved when we was finally called in. James was with me this time.

I get in and sit down and she takes the urine sample i'd brought off me and dips a multicoloured stick in it. She didn't say anything about the results, if they are instantaneous, nor did she mention any results from my previous urine dip tests. I ahve no idea what they are for but google says proteins or something.

She had some blood results on the screen and i could see lots of red highlights and exclamation marks but in spite of this she briefly commented that the results were normal.

James was as satisfied as me by her response and asked what all the red meant if they were normal. She skimmed over something about my white blood cell count being high but there was no symptoms of infection at the last appointment and that pregnancy can cause high wbc so she wasn't concerned.

She quickly changed the topic and offered me a leaflet for local antenatal classes and recommended which i should sign up for, the one starting in November.

Then she ushered me over onto the bed for my blood pressure and to hear babies heartbeat (yay!).

Blood pressure was normal as always.

Then we got the camera at the ready to record the heartbeat but she requested we gave her a few minutes to find it first but she literally placed the probed in one place on my stomach and without even moving it the heartbeat was thumping away. I fumbled to get the camera going but there was plenty of time to get a decent amount recorded.

I reckon baby must have been asleep and then during he woke up and swam off lol

He isn't normally so accommodating!

I asked the midwife about my pains down below and she immediately put them down to stretching without asking me anything about them. Not where abouts or how long the pains last or how many days i've had this symptom - nothing.

She asked if we had any other questions, which we didn't, but as soon as we left we were both discussing the high wbc count. It wasn't the only thing highlighted. There was about four or five other things too.

James has suggested phoning up the fertility clinic as i was on medications to reduce my wbc which i stopped at 12 weeks, and although i am tempted, i don't have the actual readings for my wbc from the midwife.

I don't know how to get them off the midwife now though.


No comments:

Post a Comment