Monday 30 September 2013

Midwife Appointment - 24+2

I had a routine midwife appointment today.

We was sitting in the waiting room for about 30 mins before we was called in and I was really starting to feel sick. It's those warm stuffy rooms, I just can't handle them.

I'd just got outside for a breath of fresh air when I saw hubby waving at me through the window to tell me it was our turn.

I headed back in and bumped into the couple that were leaving, she looked so much younger than me. They always look younger than me. Whether they are actually much younger or whether I'm just so frumpy in comparison is hard to tell.

We went into the room and greeted the midwife who almost immediately asked for a urine sample which I had forgotten. Baby brain 1.

So off I went downstairs to do a sample only to find that I had to use the men's toilets due to the women's being out of order... Ick.

I took it back upstairs and upon my return she told me that she had been chatting to James about what we'd been buying and things, his thoroughly bored look supported that, and then dipped my urine without any hint of what it revealed so we assumed nothing.

I told her my baby name when she asked and she pulled her face like everyone does. She settled on pointing out how uncommon it was nowadays, which means she hates it.

Then it was time for me to jump on the bed and she did my blood pressure which was "good" and then very briefly felt my belly before getting the doppler on it. Omg no camcorder! Baby brain 2.

She was making conversation about how busy Mondays are and I thought to myself "pfft, but it's Tuesday" only to realise I was wrong. Baby brain 3.

She then returned to her desk and started writing frantically, briefly pausing to tell me to be very careful how I got off the bed to ensure I didn't hurt myself but not actually telling me how to achieve that, and then going back to writing.

I asked her what the baby's heart rate was and she replied that it was "about 147".

She then started to ask if we had any questions or issues or anything and I said to her that I was hoping not to be consultant lead when my labour came around and her expression suggested that she thought I didn't have a chance but she followed it up by telling me that they now have a consultant lead birthing pool at my hospital. I must have looked a bit unimpressed so she continued that if I really don't want to be consultant lead that I should ask for specific justification because I appear to be a perfectly healthy pregnant lady.

I forgot to ask her about the baby dying yesterday. Baby brain 4.

Oh yes, I briefly thought the baby had died. I felt this crazy sensation that I haven't felt before. It was like a super hard kick but it felt like something snapped too. It wasn't painful, but I gasped and immediately noticed that the baby was no longer moving. Not the slightest bit. I thought maybe the umbilical cord had snapped or the placenta detached or the uterus ripped... Something that might explain the sensation. I was frantically googling thinking the baby had just keeled over when she gave me a kick and I burst out crying.

Anyway, she did some typing on the computer now and I was sure I saw her write today's notes with the heading "28 weeks" when James piped up and pointed out the exact same thing to her but she'd already moved on from that page and was now typing up my next midwife appointment which is scheduled for 28 weeks so she dismissed his concerns as him reading the wrong thing.

Finally she mentioned the flu vaccination which hasn't come in yet and in addition suggested having the whooping cough vaccination too as there seems to be an outbreak and it'll cover the baby from when it's born to when she can have her own vaccinations.

The whooping couch can't be given until after 28 weeks though so I might as well wait until then for the flu jab too.

We were given the folder containing all of our notes and then we left. In the car we noticed that she had put down a fundal height measurement of being in about the 65th centile but I didn't even see her measure it. I read that it could be measured with fingers but I didn't feel her doing that either!

Ah well.

No comments:

Post a Comment