Thursday 26 September 2013

Last Pregnancy Yoga - 26/09/13

So I attended my fourth and final session of pregnancy yoga tonight and I'm pretty glad it's behind me to be honest. Not because it was rubbish but because I felt icky during most of each of the sessions, you know the lack of oxygen wobbles I get? Those. The room was so stuffy and standing doing stretches and poses and things really hit me hard. I was only comfortable when sitting on my ball.

Each session had a bit of learning at the start and I can't remember what we did in the second session but we covered pelvic floor and fetus/labour positions in the recent ones. I can't really say that I learned anything that I didn't know though but I'm more astounded at how little others knew. It's hard not to imply that they are thick compared to my own far superior intellect but its not that, it's more like they have made a conscious decision to limit their own understanding of pregnancy and labour whereas I have not.

Both of the other girls in the class were very sheltered in their understanding of what is happening to our bodies because they wanted to be. They were going on about midwives know best and they are the experts so we don't need to know anything and in my head there was a voice screaming not to be so bloody naive.

Even if I believe that all midwives are brilliant at their job, which I don't, you still need a certain level of comprehension to be able to communicate. It's like they are choosing to go into labour without knowing the language. It's insanity!

Anyway, so after the lesson part we'd do some yoga which basically involved doing increasingly advanced versions of the same handful of exercises.

I found them mostly tedious. Again the contrast between myself and the other girls because they seemed to genuinely relish in them. You'd hear them sighing with relief every now and again and I mostly just felt frustrated. I could do them ok, but it was just a bit meh. Boring.

We did getting chatting every now and again which was the best part of the session by far for me. One of the girls I felt I got on with and we added each other on facebook and I've even invited her to a positive birth meeting this weekend so I was feeling hopeful to have found a friend... Well she only went and slipped into conversation that she's moving about 200 miles away within a month of giving birth *sigh*.

Now I don't really want her coming to the meet up with me :P

She's nice and everything but I'm like a women on a mission and I feel less likely to make new friends if I've already got a friend with me, if that makes sense. I've waited so long to be able to experience pregnancy with someone and I'm running out of time to have that kind of support system in place.

All in all, these kind of pregnancy yoga classes are helpful but are ultimately more of a source of information to put into practise at home off your own steam. I'm sure I don't need to tell you how many  times I've replicated the exercises learnt in my own living room...




No comments:

Post a Comment