Tuesday 3 September 2013

Anomaly Scan - 20+3

Phew, what a relief! Everything was great with our little girl :)

We were only waiting for about 20 minutes to be called in for our ultrasound which was good and then we were lead into your bog standard ultrasound room.

I was told to hop on the bed and she quickly got started.

James had been given instructions to record on his phone without asking which turned out to be a good idea because as soon as she caught him she insisted that he switched it off. He managed a fair few seconds though so hopefully there is something decent on there.

She started by counting the hands and feet - two of each - and I was amazed at how long and skeletal they looked now. She has started taking on that appearance of being folded over herself.

Then she did the brain, face, abdominal organs like the stomach and kidneys and the spine.

Then she did the heart which always looks abnormal to me as it seems so busy and irregular, but she seemed pleased that it had four normal chambers.

I did ask her for confirmation that everything was normal after each section but she frustratingly would just cooly reply "it's fine". I don't know what I was expecting but it felt like there was a lack of compassion considering the weight of her response on my nerves.

As she was going along she also took some measurements of the head circumference, abdomen circumference and the femur length (the bone that goes between your hip and your knee). Apparently they can use these measurements to date the pregnancy but it seemed to me that they were just used to compare my baby against growth trends.

I asked her to sex the baby and she confirmed that she is indeed a she and we could clearly see her bits at one point.

During the entire scan baby was having her usual wiggle and purposely covering her face although at one point we managed to catch her sticking her tongue out! It was so cute.

She took a couple of pics (another £4!) and we were sent to another waiting room to see the consultant.

The pics clearly shows her profile and she looks just like her daddy. She seems to have his nose anyway, poor thing, but in a way I'm glad if she looks like him at least a little bit. James is definitely smitten and he even seemed a lot more enthusiastic than me. I always have it in my mind that she doesn't like the scans but James was really enjoying it and kept reaching out and squeezing my arm. I think he almost squee'd when we saw her tongue poke out lol

We had a nosey through the notes and immediately noticed that they were still working off our 12 week measurement rather than our KNOWN conception date so everything was based upon baby being 20+6 rather than 20+3 and therefore also compared a little below average on the charts whereas at her correct gestation she is obviously more advanced.

It seems she has an average head, big belly and stubby legs. James' nose and my body! Ah well lol

I remember without checking that her head circumference was 18cm so the diameter (or width) is about 5.7cm which seems frickin huge! About the length of my little finger! OMG and it's only going to get bigger... Makes my eyes water at the thought!

Time started to drag from then on. It was about 50 minutes waiting just for the consultant appointment and James was starting to get a bit irritated.

When we were finally called in we were shown into the nearest room on the corridor and there was a man sitting at the desk who looked absolutely fucked. He had a scruffy shirt on, stubbly face and kept on yawning and I actually felt a bit sorry for him. It turned out that this was the head consultant and not a peon like last time.

It took him ages to navigate through my notes to find the scan results so I had my blood pressure done and pee sample checked by the nurse - both normal - and he was asking about my Clexane as I returned to my seat. We mentioned the IVF and he started looking on the computer before acknowledging that we'd been through a lot to get pregnant. He asked my age and when I told him that I'm 28 it seemed to make it more significant somehow.

He seemed a bit concerned, asking if I was sleeping and if I was suffering much anxiety regarding the pregnancy. I was explaining that I'm not feeling particular anxious unless she stops wiggling as often as other days but he continued talking as if to himself about getting me some extra ultrasounds so I promptly stfu. I conceded that it would probably help me feel less anxious and so now I'm getting scans at 26 and 32 weeks! :D 

He asked if that would be sufficient and I suggested he perhaps gave me scan pictures for free too, but it didn't work unfortunately. James was amused though :)

I mentioned to him that my coccyx is very sore and it aches to sit and to stand from sitting and he asked if I was getting shooting pains down my legs, which I'm not, and he seemed to lose interest at that point.

The entire appointment must have taken less than 5 minutes which caused James to mutter about how pointless it was as we left, but I'm glad I've got some extra scans and he seemed nice.

Pic of our pretty daddy's girl:

Video to follow later.

No comments:

Post a Comment